Emergency 2012, Saturday 13 October 2012
Call for proposals - now closed
Terrifyingly It's that time again and no sooner has the sun set on Hazard than Emergency pops its head over the horizon! We're losing count, but we think it's the 13th Manchester outing for this marathon of art and bizarreness - taking place as part of the Manchester Weekender on Saturday 13 October. The 13th Emergency on the 13th... are we tempting fate?
Now things are more settled, we've lost the 'accommodation' moniker - but have gained a venue or two! For the first time, we become a proper, multi-sited micro-festival - with three venues: two whole galleries and a theatre! All within walking distance, we're trying to coin a catchy name for the M15 triangle they cover but haven't come up with anything great yet!
Divided into a daytime of largely interaction, intervention, one on ones and durational performance; and an evening of more show-type work we are delighted to be in:
Daytime: BLANKSPACE (M15 6AW) and Castlefield Gallery (M15 4GB)
Evening: Z-arts (M15 5ZA)
With a whole range of spaces to fill - and the journey between spaces to think about too - what we now need is a lots of great work! So...
Artists working in live art, contemporary performance, time-based media and interdisciplinary arts are invited to submit proposals of short pieces of work, works in progress or extracts of longer works for inclusion in this event. Proposals are also encouraged for durational, one to one and limited capacity work and performance installation and works which inhabit the journey between the spaces.
The event’s objectives are to be:
- a free public micro-festival;
- an opportunity for artists to meet, show and peer review work;
- a selection event for a number of small Works Ahead commissions to be developed & supported by hÅb;
Work can be in any relevant artform/medium, though some live presence is desirable.
Spaces available comprise:
- Daytime – two gallery spaces and a series of unusual spaces best suited to intimate work.
- Evening – a black-box theatre (220 capacity); a partially equipped studio (capacity 70) suitable for lecture-performance type work ; a café-bar with stage suitable for intervention and cabaret.
(download Info Sheet below for details before proposing work)
Show-type work should be 20 minutes max in duration, low tech and suitable for quick turnarounds, self-supporting in terms of props/set/equipment and specialised technology.
Proposals are also strongly encouraged for durational, one to one and limited capacity work; performance installation and intervention-based works in and around the spaces and on the journey between BLANKSPACE and Castlefield Gallery
Emergency cannot pay fees or expenses (though we do feed you quite well!)
Final selection will be by a panel consisting of Tamsin Drury and John Franklin of hÅb, John Leyland of Blank Media Collective and Clarissa Corfe of Castlefield Gallery on the basis of suitability to the artistic parameters of hÅb/Blank Media Collective/Castlefield Gallery, and technical and logistical feasibility.
- Download the information below.
- Complete the application form at http://lanb.it/b8ja
- Complete the monitoring form (please it helps us with reporting!) at http://lanb.it/Dg3n
- IMPORTANT WHEN SUBMITTING FORMS PLEASE 'SHARE LOCATION' - there's a chance it will fail if you don't (especially in FireFox)
- Additional inclusion of a video submission is strongly encouraged – please include a YouTube or Vimeo or similar link on your form.
Closing Deadline 28 August 2012, 5pm.
Please note, Emergency cannot offer fees or expenses.